Water is the driving force of all nature.
I can’t tell you how many times I talk to people who don’t drink enough water. I was guilty of this my entire life and it showed its negative effects after a short time. Our bodies are 60% water for a reason! We all know that all living things need water to survive, but it’s so important to understand the “Why?” behind this fact. You are constantly losing water through sweating, breathing, and digesting so you should be rehydrating consistently throughout the day.
For me personally, it was one of those things that I responded with “Oh I know, I know”, but I really didn’t know; not at all. Due to the lack of knowledge I had regarding this subject, I was unaware how major water is to your health and life. I focused on the eating right part and completely disregarded water intake. While eating a ketogenic diet, this information is vital to your success!
So why is water so important to someone eating a normal diet?
- It gives you energy
- Forget lacking motivation
- Improves brain function
- Who wouldn’t want to think clearly and focus easily?
- Boosts Metabolism
- Humans do so much damage to their metabolism throughout their life, this is such an easy way to get back on track and help you lose weight!
- Flushes toxins out of the body
- This is huge! I have done a 3 day water fast before and I felt amazing afterwards.
- Prevents Dehydration
Dehydration can show it’s ugly face in many ways:
- Extreme Thirst or Dry mouth
- Fatigue and Headaches
- Confusion, Disorientation, or Anger
- Dry Eyes and Blurred Vision
- Muscle Cramps or Fever
- Shriveled or Dry Skin
Why is water specifically important on keto?
Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way(as I usually do) as to why water is essential on any low carb diet. I was hit with the keto flu early on when I first started and I have taken my water intake very seriously ever since.
Carbs hold water in your body so without eating those carbs you will urinate frequently losing all of those electrolytes. Electrolytes form ions in bodily fluid that is necessary for the body to function.
So how much water should I be drinking?
This will vary per person depending on many factors. If it is hot outside or if you are exercising, you will need more water. I would personally recommend drinking a gallon a day. It may seem hard at first but if you sip the water consistently all day and you drink it will all of your meals it is actually not that hard to finish.
According to the United States National Library of Medicine, the average adult needs to drink between 91 and 125 fluid ounces (2.7 to 3.7 liters) of water each day. This is for people who do not eat a ketogenic diet and most experts believe this number is way too low.
- It is vital to drink enough water to support all bodily functions.
- You do not store water when eating keto so you need to drink more than an average person.
- You should be drinking 1 gallon a day.
How much water do you drink a day? How do you stay hydrated during a busy life? Let me know!
Leave a comment below!