Most people know that the keto diet is used for weight loss but not much more than that. Entering ketosis causes so many changes in your body on every level and it is currently being used to treat many conditions.
Medical research for the list below is still underway but that doesn’t mean the results are different, it just means that scientists and doctors just aren’t 100% sure why they see the amazing results that they do. I am a believer that although medical research has come so far, it is not as advanced as we would like to think.
Due to the recent popularity of the ketogenic diet, more money has gone into research about how it affects the body and brain and all off the things it can cure and treat. Below are examples of the effects keto has to your health:
1. Weight Loss
- Burns your own fat instead of carbs for energy.
- Eating more fat make you feel full for longer causing less calorie intake.
- Acne has been shown to be aggravated when blood sugars raise and lower. When sugar intake is always low this can help people who suffer with the condition.
- Cancer cells feed on sugar so it’s no surprise that keto is becoming a mainstream addition to treatment for a variety of different cancers.
4. Heart Health
- When you are eating good fats like avocado and staying away from bad fats like vegetable oil, this lowers your bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises your good cholesterol (HDL).
- This is actually how the ketogenic diet was founded in the 1920’s. This is a common treatment for epilepsy due to the ketones reducing seizures. It shows the most promise in pediatric focal seizures.
6. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS)
- I see/know so many woman starting keto to treat their PCOS and I am so happy that it seems to be working well for all of them. PCOS causes enlarged ovaries and ovarian cysts to form. High carb diets seem to make this condition worsen.
7. Decrease Inflammation
- Simply put, carbs hold water. Without those carbs, this helps with inflammation and diseases that come with it. I have listed some below:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
8. Neurological and Metabolic Diseases
- The ketogenic diet has shown promising effects due to enhanced mitochondrial function. Some of the diseases it can be used to treat are below:
- Alzheimer/Cognitive Impairment
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Traumatic brain injury
9. Increases women’s fertility and stabilizing hormones
- This is due to the low insulin levels.
10. Eye Health
- High blood sugars have a huge effect on eyesight and leads to an increased risk of cataracts.
Keto is also extremely beneficial to people with diabetes, please see this post for more information!
- Keto has been proven to treat many conditions.
- Scientists are still figuring out the “Why?” behind these results.
- The future for the ketogenic diet is looking bright!
Do you eat a keto diet for any of the above reasons? Has it worked? Is there a health benefit I missed?
Let me know!
Leave a comment below!